Ong Choi Recipes
Ong Choi with Squid
This dish is a favourite among the Thais and can be found in many restaurants in Thailand.
Preparation: 10 mins | Cooking time: 15 mins | Serves: 2
- 1/2 pound (5 to 8) squid tubes
- 1 bunch ong choi
- 2 tablespoons vegetable coil
- 1 clove fresh garlic, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon Thai shrimp paste (Kapi)
- Optional as not to everyone's taste buds
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce (Tiparos)
- 1 to 2 fresh Thai red chilli,
- sliced in half, or 1/2 teaspoon chilli sauce (Sambal Olek), optional
- Clean squid and slice into bite-size pieces. Clean ong choi, separate stalks and leaves, and cut into 2-inch pieces (6 cups).
- In a wok or saucepan, heat oil over high heat and stir in garlic until golden brown.
- Add ong choi stalks and stir 4 or 5 times until half cooked.
- Add shrimp paste and stir until it melts; don't burn.
- Add squid, ong choi leaves and remaining ingredients.
- Keep stirring 15 to 20 seconds over high heat; do not overcook either ong choi or squid. Spoon onto a serving plate.